Award-Winning California Employment Law Firm Since 2012

Your Success Starts Here

Frequently Asked Questions About Employment Law

At the Law Offices of Eric A. Boyajian,APC, we address concerns from employees who have been paid too little, discriminated against or questionably fired. See typical questions below that we sometimes receive or arrange for an individualized case review.

My employer laid me off without warning or explanation. Is this illegal?

California is an at-will state, which means that employers or employees can terminate an employment relationship without cause or prior notice. However, discriminating against workers on the basis of race, national origin, religion and other aspects of identity violates state and federal employment laws.

It is also illegal for an employer to fire you because you reported sexual harassment on the job or reported fraud as a whistleblower. If you suspect that your dismissal was for a reason such as these, consult with a lawyer.

My supervisor usually asks me and other employees to perform job duties before and after our clocked time. What can we do?

Your employer is likely breaking the law by requiring you to work off the clock. The total unpaid wages multiplied among many workers are substantial. Ask an attorney about initiating a class action lawsuit to recover compensation for your and your co-workers’ unpaid labor.

Our employment law firm can guide you step by step and protect you if you experience retaliatory discharge after filing a complaint.

I have a noticeable disability, but I navigate the world capably. How can I protect my work-related rights under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)?

You may have achieved a high level of education and possess many job skills, but notice that employers give you the impression after an initial job interview that they won’t consider hiring you because of your limitations.

Keep in mind that the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) requires employers of five or more employees to provide reasonable accommodation for individuals with a physical or mental disability to apply for jobs and to perform the essential functions of their jobs unless it would cause an undue hardship.

Do you suspect that a company illegally discriminated against you on the basis of your disability? Contact us.

Bring Us Your Questions

Call 877-694-0896 or send an email to request a consultation.